Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Interview with Alastair Redman, Resident of the Island of Islay


Pearl of Tyburn:  We have Alastair Redman, from the Island of Islay, with us now. Hello, Mr. Redman.


Alastair Redman:  Hello!


P.T.:  Could you tell me a bit about yourself and your background?


A.R.:  I am a crofter’s son on the Island of Islay, my mother in a nurse, one of my three brothers is a fisherman, one works for the forestry and the other is a crofter like my father. My girl friend is from the north of England, but was originally born on Shetland. I run a small shop and post office in Portnahaven on Islay.  


P.T.:  How did you get involved with Unionism, and why?


A.R.:  I am proud to be both Scottish and British, and I don't want to have to choose between the two.   


P.T.:  What does your British identity mean to you, and what do you think it means to the world?


A.R.:  It means that I am part of country that is a force for good in the world, loved by our allies, feared by our enemies, and respected by all.     


P.T.:  What would you say to an undecided Scottish voter to keep in mind tomorrow?


A.R.:  Being a unionist makes you no less or more patriotic than a yes voter. Too often the Yes side will claim that we are doing Scotland down by saying no to separation, that to vote no is unpatriotic well they are wrong no one person or political movement has a monopoly on what it is to be patriotic.  


P.T.:  What are some of your personal interests/hobbies/goals in life?


A.R.:  I love books, TV, video games, some sports and politics. As for my goals we will see how this referendum goes first. 


P.T.:  Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me, Mr. Redman.


A.R.:  No trouble.



No comments:

Post a Comment